SEO Consultants rely on a myriad of tools to analyze and measure the performance of their client’s websites. As far as the cost of these tools, well, they run the gamut from being free to quite expensive. As far as the free ones, many are worth exactly what you pay for them, unless you “upgrade”. Not in the case of Google Webmaster Tools. In a previous article, we talked a little bit about Google Analytics and how it is a great tool for measuring traffic, determining its source and finding out what kind of content it is drawn to. SEO Consultants can take their analysis a step further with Google Webmaster Tools. There are too many features to adequately do them all justice in a single blog post, so we will concentrate on a few tools that will help you optimize your site for your chosen keywords. But to summarize, following is a partial list of tools you can utilize in your account.
Webmaster Tools allows you to:
- Submit your sitemap
- See the external links to your site’s pages
- See the internal links to your pages
- See your most linked to content
- See what Keywords have significance on your site
- Check the Index Status of your site
- See the Keywords your pages show for in SERPs and the click through rates
- Check for Crawl Errors and Blocked URLs
- Check or generate a robots.txt file
- And more!
With all of these wonderful tools, probably the most useful, in my humble opinion, are the ones that help you to optimize your site for the keywords that you want to rank for. So, let’s take a look at how to determine if you are on the right track with your SEO and if your SEO Consultant is worth his or her weight in gold. Continue reading